Peripheral edema is an abnormal fluid retention in the lower legs that cause swelling of tissues in the calves, ankles, legs and feet. Read Thigh Swelling – Upper Leg Swelling to learn about swelling in the upper legs. Certain medical reasons might cause ankle and leg edema whereas some conditions might contribute to excessive swelling of ankles and feet too. In other words, the fluid retention occurs as a direct or indirect reaction to an underlying disease or condition.
- This may be one of the most effective inguinal hernia pad support featuring dual adjustable compression trusses designed to aid in the relief of inguinal hernias and velcro sturdy elastic waist band with two removable and adjustable pressure pads. The leg straps are made from soft Super Stretch Spandex with stainless steel buckles. This hernia support belt for men is available from small (30” around the hips) to extra large (52”) size.
- We already known that medical reason is not the only cause of swelling feet and legs but some hormonal factors and certain bad condition can also trigger it. This is the second part of Peripheral Edema article and we’ll look at some hormonal and condition causes of ankle and leg edema below. For information about the causes of thigh swelling, visit Thigh Swelling – Upper Leg Swelling. Pregnancy An increase of body fluid volume, pressure on the vena cava and hormone fluctuations during pregnancy all contribute to the occurring of water retention in legs during pregnancy.
- Ascites, also known as abdominal dropsy or peritoneal cavity fluid, is an accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity caused by an imbalance of fluid flow into and out of the blood and lymphatic vessels. There are three medical conditions that may lead to the imbalance of fluid flow in the body: Increased pressure in the liver, often seen in patients with cirrhosis as well as patients with massive liver metastasis Metastasis in the peritoneum Left heart faliure with edema in the body, including the abdomen and the peritoneum.
- You may be a person who, after seeing a doctor, is recommended that you need particular medical supplies. Rather than getting the back supports, medical support hose for your tired and achy legs, firm support stockings for painful varicose veins, orthopedic knee or ankle braces, or crutches that you need from a hospital pharmacy at a much higher price, you choose to shop around in order to find a better price on your home medical equipment.
- Chronic lung disease is a general term of persistent lung disorders. It affects many people around the world. One of the complications of chronic lung disease is severe water retention in body. Let’s take a look at the lung and its functions to better understand what causes water retention in patients with chronic lung disease. or You can jump directly to Ankle and Feet Swelling, Pulmonary Edema in COPD, ARDS, Lung Disorders here
- This is the third part of Peripheral Edema article, you can find a list of drugs which can affect certain functions of the body and cause lower leg edema includes the legs, feet and ankles. For causes of swelling in the upper leg, you can visit Thigh Swelling – Upper Leg Swelling. Read also Swollen Face Allergy. Anabolic steroid Anabolic steroid is a natural or synthetic endocrine which helps to build muscles and body mass.
- Swelling on bottom of feet at the toes or on the ball of foot is a quite common condition and often causes discomfort. It may also accompanied by other symptoms such as muscle cramps, red itchy toes, swollen skin, numbness, etc. depending on the causes of the swelling. Below are several conditions that may trigger swollen foot pads, especially at the toes areas. Bunions Bunion is a bony swelling caused by thickened tissue overlying the joint at the bottom of feet at the big toe.
- Swelling in the upper leg or thigh is not water retention / edema instead it can occur for a number of reasons. Let’s see some possible causes of thigh swelling. Refer to Fluid Retention in Legs - Peripheral Edema to learn about peripheral edema. Diabetic Muscle Infarction Diabetic muscle infarction (DMI) is a very rare but serious complication of longstanding diabetes mellitus. In most cases, it occurs in diabetic patients with established vascular disease and systemic inflammation.
- Kidney is one of the main parts of our excretory system. Failure of the kidneys to function properly will obstruct the entire excretory system. And this may lead to the occurring of water retention. Let’s take a look at the kidney and its function as it will help you to better understand how and what causes water retention in patients with kidney problems. Kidneys inside our body Our kidneys are two bean-shaped organs which are located near the middle of the back; one on each side.