Brawny edema is a much more severe form of non-pitting edema and usually present in later stage of non-pitting edema. Brawny edema can affect any part of the body, though mostly occur in the lower extremities. The chronic condition causes the skin to become thick, brown colored, induration, liposclerosis, atrophic and even necrotic. Causes of brawny edema The primary cause of brawny edema is metabolic abnormality which leads to fibrotic changes that occur in the subcutaneous tissue on the outer layer of the skin.
- Ascites is an excess fluid retention or edema within the abdominal or peritoneal cavity, the membrane lining the abdominal organs and the abdomen itself. A combination of low levels of albumin and elevated pressure of hepatic portal vein is the main cause of abdominal fluid retention. These conditions are usually aggravated from certain underlying diseases especially: Congestive heart failure Maglinant diseases for example metastasis of stomach or ovary cancer Liver disorder e.
- Peripheral edema is an abnormal fluid retention in the lower legs that cause swelling of tissues in the calves, ankles, legs and feet. Read Thigh Swelling – Upper Leg Swelling to learn about swelling in the upper legs. Certain medical reasons might cause ankle and leg edema whereas some conditions might contribute to excessive swelling of ankles and feet too. In other words, the fluid retention occurs as a direct or indirect reaction to an underlying disease or condition.
- We already known that medical reason is not the only cause of swelling feet and legs but some hormonal factors and certain bad condition can also trigger it. This is the second part of Peripheral Edema article and we’ll look at some hormonal and condition causes of ankle and leg edema below. For information about the causes of thigh swelling, visit Thigh Swelling – Upper Leg Swelling. Pregnancy An increase of body fluid volume, pressure on the vena cava and hormone fluctuations during pregnancy all contribute to the occurring of water retention in legs during pregnancy.
- Ascites, also known as abdominal dropsy or peritoneal cavity fluid, is an accumulation of fluid in the abdominal cavity caused by an imbalance of fluid flow into and out of the blood and lymphatic vessels. There are three medical conditions that may lead to the imbalance of fluid flow in the body: Increased pressure in the liver, often seen in patients with cirrhosis as well as patients with massive liver metastasis Metastasis in the peritoneum Left heart faliure with edema in the body, including the abdomen and the peritoneum.
- This is the third part of Peripheral Edema article, you can find a list of drugs which can affect certain functions of the body and cause lower leg edema includes the legs, feet and ankles. For causes of swelling in the upper leg, you can visit Thigh Swelling – Upper Leg Swelling. Read also Swollen Face Allergy. Anabolic steroid Anabolic steroid is a natural or synthetic endocrine which helps to build muscles and body mass.
- Swelling on bottom of feet at the toes or on the ball of foot is a quite common condition and often causes discomfort. It may also accompanied by other symptoms such as muscle cramps, red itchy toes, swollen skin, numbness, etc. depending on the causes of the swelling. Below are several conditions that may trigger swollen foot pads, especially at the toes areas. Bunions Bunion is a bony swelling caused by thickened tissue overlying the joint at the bottom of feet at the big toe.
- Swelling in the upper leg or thigh is not water retention / edema instead it can occur for a number of reasons. Let’s see some possible causes of thigh swelling. Refer to Fluid Retention in Legs - Peripheral Edema to learn about peripheral edema. Diabetic Muscle Infarction Diabetic muscle infarction (DMI) is a very rare but serious complication of longstanding diabetes mellitus. In most cases, it occurs in diabetic patients with established vascular disease and systemic inflammation.